Frequently Asked Questions...
The Kickstart Scheme is a new government initiative to support employers and get more people into the workplace. This scheme forms part of Plan for Jobs and can be accessed by any organisation of any size. The aim is for the government to provide employers with the required funding to enable them to create new job placements for young people aged 16-24. These placements must be new positions within the company and offered to young people who are receiving Universal Credit as a means to reduce the risk of them being unemployed in the long term.
The funding will be available for each person employed under the scheme. The funding will cover the following:
- The full wage for 25 hours a week based on the relevant National Minimum Wage
- Employer National Insurance contributions
- An additional £1,500 to be used by the employer to support and train the young employee with the aim to increase their skill set and employability on completion of the Kickstart job placement.
There are several criteria that you need to meet in order to qualify for the Kickstart Scheme.
- The placement must be for a minimum of 25 hours per week and last for a duration of at least 6 months.
- The employer must:
- Pay the National Minimum Wage through PAYE
- Pay Statutory Employers National Insurance contributions
- Pay Employer Automatic Enrolment contributions
- The placement must be a new position, which does not take the place of, or detract from, the work undertaken by existing employees.
- The work to be completed on the placement must not require the employee to complete extensive training prior to the placement commencing.
- The employer is required to support the employee in developing skill sets to enhance their future employability and assisting the employee in finding longer term employment on completion of the placement.
An employer can obtain the funding through Kickstart Wraparound.
In order to apply for the funding directly, a single application must be made. This can be done via Kickstart Wraparound.
Kickstart Wraparound will work as your representative to access the Kickstart Scheme but there are many more advantages to working with us.
Essentially, Kickstart Wraparound will assist you with all of the required training, administration and payroll. From the very start to the process to the end, we will support you in many ways.
Kickstart Wraparound will:
- Complete the funding application process
- Support you, the employer, with creating the right job placements for your business.
- Act as a mentor for both the employer and employee.
- Work collaboratively with the job centre to source and pre-screen the right candidates for the placements.
- Provide all mandatory training.
- Manage and process the placement funding.
- Manage payments and process payments made by the DWP.